Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Stephanie Dattellas for Ballet Theater Company – Program: Up Close: Fall
- October 1, 2022 – October 2, 2022: Ballet Theater Company will present Up Close: Fall, a program featuring world premiere works by Stephanie Dattellas (female), and Calvin Bittner (male), alongside various repertory works.
- Conny Mathôt for San Antonio Ballet – Program: Cinderella
- October 14, 2022 – October 16, 2022: San Antonio Ballet will present the world premiere of a new version of Cinderella choreographed by Conny Mathôt (female).
- Julianna Rubio Slager for Ballet 5:8 – Program: Imagine Better
- October 15, 2022: Ballet 5:8 will present Imagine Better, a program featuring world premiere works by company Artistic Director and Resident Choreographer Julianna Rubio Slager (female) and Matthew Rushing (male), alongside three other repertory works by Rubio Slager.
- Sidra Bell for Gibney Dance Center – Program: IN/REP: Introspection (An Evening of Works)
- October 27, 2022 – October 29, 2022: Gibney Dance will present IN/REP: Introspection (An Evening of Works) by Sidra Bell (female). Bell is Gibney’s “ inaugural Artist-In-Residence (AiR).”
- Arimee Gambill for James Sewell Ballet – Program: Breath 2022
- October 29, 2022 – October 30, 2022: James Sewell Ballet will present Breath 2022, a program featuring new works by Arimee Gambill (female) and Michael Walters (male) alongside a co-created new work by XINA (female).
- Shannon Alvis, Jennifer Archibald and Stephanie Martinez for Ballet Des Moines – Program: She
- April 27, 2023 – April 29, 2023: Ballet Des Moines will present She, a triple bill featuring works by “the dance world’s leading and emerging female voices.” The program will feature works by Shannon Alvis (female), Jennifer Archibald (female), and Stephanie Martinez (female).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- New School Director at School of Philadelphia Ballet
- Effective August 22, 2022: the School of Philadelphia Ballet announced that Davit Karapetyan (male) would succeed James Payne (male), as the new Director of the school.
- Complexions Contemporary Ballet Announces New Associate Artistic Director
- September 2, 2022: Complexions Contemporary Ballet Announced, through the company Instagram, that effective August 2022 Meg Paul (female) had been appointed as the company’s new associate artistic director.
- American Ballet Theater announces new Studio Company Rehearsal Director
- September 6, 2022: American Ballet Theater announced that Yan Chen (female) has been named Rehearsal Director for the ABT Studio Company. It was also announced that Chen has been named Principal Teacher of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School pre-professional division.
- A New Resident Choreographer at Ballet Arizona
- September 2022: Ballet Arizona announced that Nayon Iovino (male) has been named resident choreographer for the company.
- Oklahoma City Ballet Announces New Rehearsal Director
- September 9, 2022: Oklahoma City Ballet announced, through the company Instagram, that DaYoung Jung (female) has been appointed as the company’s new rehearsal director. This appointment comes after Jung took her final bow as a company principal dancer in May 2022.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.