Happening This Week
- Annabelle Lopez-Ochoa for Houston Ballet – Program: Tutu
- September 21, 2023 – October 1, 2023: Houston Ballet will present Tutu, a triple bill program featuring a world premiere work by Annabelle Lopez-Ochoa (female), alongside works by Stanton Welch (male), and George Balanchine (male).
- Andrea Miller for English National Ballet – Program: Our Voices
- September 21, 2023 – September 30, 2023: English National Ballet will present Our Voices, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Andrea Miller (female), with artwork by renowned sculptor Dame Phyllida Barlow (female) alongside a world premiere by David Dawson (male) and work by George Balanchine (male).
- Imre van Opstal for Nederlands Dans Theater
- September 21, 2023 – November 10, 2023: Nederlands Dans Theater will present In/with/in, a program featuring world premiere works by choreographic duo Imre van Opstal (female) & Marne van Opstal (male), and Tao Ye (male), alongside a work by Marco Goecke (male).
- Penny Saunders for Tulsa Ballet – Program: Creations in Studio K
- September 15, 2023 – September 24, 2023: Tulsa Ballet will present Creations in Studio K, a program featuring world premiere works by Penny Saunders (female) and Adam Hougland (male) alongside a work by Yury Yanowsky (male).
- Gianna Reisen for Carolina Ballet – Program: Firebird
- September 14, 2023 – October 1, 2023: Carolina Ballet will present Firebird, a program featuring a world premiere work by Gianna Reisen (female), alongside a work by Robert Weiss (male).
- Bobbi Jene Smith for L.A. Dance Project
- September 14, 2023 – September 30, 2023: L.A. Dance Project will present a new evening-length work by choreographic artists-in-residence Bobbi Jene Smith + Or Schraiber.
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
- Wubkje Kuindersma for West Australian Ballet – Program: Van Gogh
- September 8, 2023 – September 23, 2023: the West Australian Ballet will present Van Gogh, a world premiere evening-length work by Wubkje Kuindersma (female).
- Maxine Doyle for the Brisbane Festival – Program: Salamander
- September 1, 2023 – September 24, 2023: The Brisbane Festival will present Salamander, a world premiere featuring choreography by Maxine Doyle (female), sculptures and set design by Es Devlin (female), sound design by Rachael Dease (female).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Lauren Lovette for Paul Taylor Dance Company
- October 31, 2023 – November 12, 2023: Paul Taylor Dance Company will present their 2023 Lincoln Center Season programming featuring world premiere works by company Resident Choreographer Lauren Lovette (female), and Larry Keigwin (male), alongside works by Ulysses Dove (male), Amy Hall Garner (female), and Paul Taylor.
- Alice Topp for Singapore Ballet – Program: Passages Contemporary Season 2023
- November 3, 2023 – November 5, 2023: Singapore Ballet will present Passages Contemporary Season 2023, a program featuring new works by Alice Topp (female) and Étienne Ferrère (male), alongside works by Christina Chan (female), and Natalie Weir (female).
- Amy Hall Garner for ABT Studio Company Fall Tour
- November 7, 2023 – November 17, 2023: ABT Studio Company will present their Fall Tour programming, featuring world premiere works by Amy Hall Garner (female) and Jamar Roberts (male) alongside works by Hope Boykin (female), Houston Thomas (male), and Alexei Ratmansky (male).
- Hilla Ben Ari for Limón Dance Company – Program: Women’s Stories
- December 7, 2023 – December 9, 2023: Limón Dance Company will present Women’s Stories, A program featuring a world premiere work by Hilla Ben Ari (female) who has been commissioned to reimagine “The Moor’s Pavane from the female perspective.” The program will also feature “classics celebrating the women who shaped (Limón’s) work.
- Annie-B Parson, Tendayi Kuumba, and Donna Uchizono for Perelman Performing Arts Center – Program: The March
- December 10, 2023 – December 16, 2023: Perelman Performing Arts Center will present The March, “an evening of contemporary dance,” featuring choreography by Annie-B Parson (female), Tendayi Kuumba (female) and Donna Uchizono (female).
- Julie Niekrasz and Alia Kache for Ballet Memphis – Program: American Roots
- April 19, 2024 – April 21, 2024: Ballet Memphis will present American Roots, A program featuring new works by Julie Niekrasz (female), Alia Kache (female), and Brandon Ramey (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Oregon Ballet Theater 2 Announces New Program Director and Principal Instructor
- On August 18, 2023: Oregon Ballet Theater 2 announced that Dominic Walsh (male) has been named Program Director and Principal Instructor.
- State Street Ballet Announces Artistic Director and Executive Director Appointments
- On September 1, 2023: State Street Ballet announced that Megan Phillipp (female) has been appointed as Artistic Director of the company effective September 1, 2023. The company also announced the appointment of Cecily MacDougall (female) as Executive Director effective January 2024. Phillipp and MacDougall Succeed Executive Artistic Director Rodney Gustafson (male) in the positions.
- Ballet Lubbock Announces Departure of Executive Director
- On September 7, 2023: Ballet Lubbock announced the departure of Nicholas Dragga (male) as Executive Director of the company effective October 20, 2023. No successor has been announced as of the date of this post.
- BalletX Announces New Rehearsal Director
- On September 7, 2023: BalletX announced that Keelan Whitmore (male) has been appointed as Rehearsal Director for the company.
- Sydney Dance Company Announces the Inaugural Recipient of the Balnaves Foundation Artist Residency
- On September 8, 2023: Sydney Dance Company and the Balnaves Foundation announced that Jasmin Sheppard (female) is the inaugural recipient of the Balnaves Foundation Artist Residency. This residency “invites an emerging choreographer to work across all of SDC’s departments, while developing their own practice concurrently.”
- Dayton Contemporary Dance Company Announces Departure of Executive Director
- On September 8, 2023: Dayton Contemporary Dance Company announced that company Executive Director Phyllis Brzozowska (female) has stepped down from her position due to ill health. No successor has been named as of the date of this post.
- Royal New Zealand Ballet Announces New Artistic Director
- On September 14, 2023: Royal New Zealand Ballet announced that Ty King-Wall has been appointed as Artistic Director of the company. King-Wall succeeds David McAllister who has been serving as Interim Artistic Director since March 2023. This is a male-to-male transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.