Happening This Week
- Avatâra Ayuso for Ballet de Santiago
- July 22, 2023 – July 29, 2023: Ballet de Santiago will present Nijinska: Secreto de la Vanguardia (Nijinska: Secret of the Vanguard), a world premiere work by Avatâra Ayuso (female) that, according to the brief description on the company website, “looks to focus our attention on ‘la gran ignorada de la danza’ (the great Ignored of dance).
- Hai-Wen HSU for La Biennale di Venezia
- July 23, 2023 – July 25, 2023: La Biennale di Venezia will present Biennale College Choreographers-New Creations, a program of newly commissioned works for Biennale College to support emerging choreographic talent. This year’s choreographers are Hai-Wen HSU (female), and Scott Elstermann (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Zoë Ashe-Browne and Kirsten Wicklund for Opera Ballet Vlaanderen – Program: Choreolab
- September 1, 2023 – September 9, 2023: Opera Ballet Vlaanderen will present Choreolab, a program featuring new works by dancers of Opera Ballet Vlaanderen, Zoë Ashe-Browne (female), Kirsten Wicklund (female) and Viktor Banka (male).
- Bobbi Jene Smith for L.A. Dance Project
- September 14, 2023 – September 30, 2023: L.A. Dance Project will present a new evening-length work by choreographic artists-in-residence Bobbi Jene Smith + Or Schraiber.
- Maxine Doyle for the Brisbane Festival – Program: Salamander
- September 1, 2023 – September 24, 2023: The Brisbane Festival will present Salamander, a world premiere work featuring choreography by Maxine Doyle (female), sculptures and set design by Es Devlin (female), sound design by Rachael Dease (female).
- Kristen McNally for The Royal Ballet – Program: The Limit
- October 20, 2023 – October 28, 2023: The Royal Ballet will present The Limit, a dance theater work based on the award-winning play by Sam Steiner (male), with choreography by Kristen McNally (female), an original score by Isobel Waller-Bridge (female), and direction by Ed Madden (male).
- Rachel Barker and Katarzyna Skarpetowska for Repertory Dance Theater – Program: Venture
- November 16, 2023 – November 18, 2023: Repertory Dance Theater will present Venture, A program featuring new works by Rachel Barker (female), Katarzyna Skarpetowska (female), Shane Urton (male), and Ruger Memmott (male), alongside a work by Meghan Durham Wall (female).
- Yusha-Marie Sorzano for Repertory Dance Theater – Program: Gamut
- April 11, 2024 – April 13, 2024: Repertory Dance Theater will present Gamut, a program featuring a new work by Yusha-Marie Sorzano (female), alongside works by Ihsan Rustem (male), Michio Ito (male), and Lar Lubovich (male).
- Lauren Lovette for New Jersey Ballet – Program: Repertory Evening
- May 3, 2024 – May 4, 2024: the New Jersey Ballet will present Repertory Evening, a program featuring a world premiere work by Lauren Lovette (female), alongside works by Harrison Ball (male), and Justin Peck (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- SjDanceco. Announces Artistic Director Transition
- On July 6, 2023: SjDanceco. Co-Artistic Director Gary Masters (male) announced his retirement. It was also announced that Masters would “pass the torch” to his Co-Artistic Director Maria Basile (female).
- Alberta Ballet Announces Departure of Artistic Director
- On July 7, 2023: Alberta Ballet announced that Artistic Director Christopher Anderson (male) will depart the company in December 2023. As of the date of this post, no successor has been announced.
- Boston Ballet Announces Departure of Executive Director
- On July 12, 2023: Boston Ballet announced that Executive Director Meredith “Max” Hodges (female) will depart the company in August 2023, to become CEO of The Shed. Boston Ballet’s Chief Financial Officer Ming Min Hui has been appointed as Interim Executive Director.
- The Shed Announces New CEO
- On July 12, 2023: The Shed announced that Meredith “Max” Hodges (female) has been appointed as the company’s new CEO. Hodges succeeds Alex Poots (male) in this role. This is a male-to-female transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.