Happening This Week
- Hope Boykin Dance at The Joyce
- October 17, 2023 – October 22, 2023: The Joyce will present a new evening-length dance theater work by Joyce Creative Residency recipient, Hope Boykin (female).
- Donna Marisa and Hannah Bontrager for Ballet Fantastique – Program: Nevermore
- October 19, 2023 – October 22, 2023: Ballet Fantastique will present Nevermore, a program featuring new choreography by Donna Marisa (female) & Hannah Bontrager (female).
- Gemma Bond for Sarasota Ballet – Program: Program 1
- October 20, 2023 – October 22, 2023: Sarasota Ballet will present Program 1 Progression in Rep, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Gemma Bond (female), alongside works by Sir Frederick Ashton (male), and Johan Kobborg (male).
- Kristen McNally for The Royal Ballet – Program: The Limit
- October 20, 2023 – October 28, 2023: The Royal Ballet will present The Limit, a dance theater work based on the award-winning play by Sam Steiner (male), with choreography by Kristen McNally (female), an original score by Isobel Waller-Bridge (female), and direction by Ed Madden (male).
- Jawole Willa Jo Zollar for Houston Grand Opera
- October 20, 2023 – November 3, 2023: Houston Grand Opera will present the world premiere of Intelligence, an opera directed and choreographed by Urban Bush Women founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar (female).
- Julia Eisen for Alabama Ballet – Program: At Home
- October 20, 2023 – October 29, 2023: Alabama Ballet will present At Home, a program featuring a new work by Julia Eisen (female), alongside works by Roger VanFleteren (male), and Christopher Stuart (male).
- Daniela Cardim, Ruth Brill, and Kristen McNally for New English Ballet Theater – Program: Genesis Dance Project and New Works
- October 14, 2023 – November 3, 2023: New English Ballet Theater will present Genesis Dance Project and New Works, a program featuring world premiere works by Daniela Cardim (female), Ruth Brill (female), Kristen McNally (female), Wayne Eagling (male), and Valentino Zucchetti (male) alongside a work by Peter Leung (male).
- Xenia Aidonopoulou and Jade Hackett for Dance Umbrella Festival
- October 6, 2023 – October 31, 2023: The UK’s Dance Umbrella Festival will present world premiere works by Xenia Aidonopoulou (female), and Jade Hackett (female), alongside works by Marco da Silva Ferreira (male), Amala Dianor (male), Sonya Lindfors (female), Ioanna Paraskevopoulou (female).
- Imre van Opstal for Nederlands Dans Theater
- September 21, 2023 – November 10, 2023: Nederlands Dans Theater will present In/with/in, a program featuring world premiere works by choreographic duo Imre van Opstal (female) & Marne van Opstal (male), and Tao Ye (male), alongside a work by Marco Goecke (male).
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Andrea Bayne for Ballet Victoria – Program: Ballet Rocks
- October 20, 2023 – November 5, 2023: Ballet Victoria will present Ballet Rocks, a program featuring a new work by Andrea Bayne (female), alongside repertory from Bolero and Le Corsaire.
- Eileen McClory for Belfast International Arts Festival
- October 28, 2023 – October 29, 2023: Belfast International Arts Festival will present Gutter, a new dance theater work by Eileen McClory (female).
- Alicia Ross for Femdanco – Program: Hear Her
- November 3, 2023 – November 4, 2023: Femdanco will present Hear Her, a work featuring choreography by Alicia Ross (female) in collaboration with dancers.
- Honji Wang for Ballet National du Capitole – Program: Toiles Étoiles
- June 12, 2024 – June 16, 2024: Ballet National du Capitole will present Toiles Étoiles, a program featuring new works by Honji Wang (female) & Sébastien Ramirez (male), Antonio Najarro (male), and Cayetano Soto (male).
- Sarah Foster-Sproull and Alice Topp for Royal New Zealand Ballet – Program: Solace: Dance to feed your soul
- August 1, 2024 – August 17, 2024: the Royal New Zealand Ballet will present Solace: Dance to feed your soul, a program featuring new works by Sarah Foster-Sproull (female) and Alice Topp (female), alongside a work by Wayne McGregor (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Rhode Island Women’s Choreography Project announces new Executive Director
- On October 10, 2023: Rhode Island Women’s Choreography Project announced that Kristy DuBois (female) has been appointed as Executive Director of the company.
- Bielefeld Theater announces new Dance Artistic Director
- In August 2023: Bielefeld Theater announced that Felix Landerer (male) had been appointed as Artistic Director of Dance. Landerer succeeds Simone Sandroni (male) in the role.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
- PNB Dance Film Festival 2024 Applications Open
- Pacific Northwest Ballet has announced that applications for the 2024 Dance Film Festival are now open.
- The application deadline is December 10, 2023.
- For more information see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.