Happening This Week
- Rachel Arianne Ogle, Kimberley Parkin, Jasmin Sheppard for Sydney Dance Company – Program: INDance
- August 17, 2023 – August 26, 2023: Sydney Dance Company will present INDance, an “opportunity for the independent dance sector to have work presented by Sydney Dance Company.” The four independent contemporary dance choreographers chosen for the 2023 iteration of INDand are Rachel Arianne Ogle (female), Kimberley Parkin (female), Jasmin Sheppard (female), and Ryuichi Fujimura (male).
- Yanira Castro, Marina Fukushima, Audrey Johnson, and Marissa Brown for ODC Theater’s State of Play Festival
- August 3, 2023 – August 13, 2023: ODC Theater will present the State of Play Festival, which will feature new works by Yanira Castro (female), Ajani Brannum (they/them), and Marina Fukushima (female), Isak Immanuel (male) & Surjit Nongmeikapam (male) also featured will be a work-in-progress piece by Audrey Johnson (Female), and works by Baye & Asa, Marissa Brown (female), Bhumi B Patel (she/they), Kensaku Shinohara (male), gizeh muñiz vengel (she/they), Jerron Herman (male), and DANDY.
- Caili Quan, Adji Cissoko, and Melissa Toogood for Vail Dance Festival – Program: NOW: Premieres
- On August 7, 2023: Vail Dance Festival will present NOW: Premieres, a program Featuring new works by Caili Quan (female), Adji Cissoko (female), Melissa Toogood (female), Kyle Abraham (male), Matthew Neenan (male), Justin Peck (male), and Jamar Roberts (male).
- Gemma Bond for Ballet Nacional de Sodre – Program: Dos hemisferios
- July 27, 2023 – August 6, 2023: Ballet Nacional de Sodre will present Dos hemisferios, a double bill featuring world premiere works by Gemma Bond (female) and Iñaki Urlezaga (male).
- Stephanie Lake for The Australian Ballet
- July 25, 2023 – August 19, 2023: The Australian Ballet is scheduled to present its 2023 tour. The tour features a new commission by Stephanie Lake (female) alongside works by Marius Petipa (male), and Lucas Jervies (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Haley Andrews, Jay Breen, Deanna Gerde, Juliana Godlewski, Theresa Jimmerson, and Jessi Stegall for Rhode Island Women’s Choreography Project
- August 27, 2023: Rhode Island Women’s Choreography Project will present its fifth anniversary season featuring works by choreographers Haley Andrews (female), Jay Breen (female), Deanna Gerde (female), Juliana Godlewski (female), Theresa Jimmerson (female), Jessi Stegall (female).
- Sarah Slipper for NW Dance Project – Program: Sharing Stories
- October 6, 2023 – October 7, 2023: NW Dance Project will present Sharing Stories, a program featuring new works by Sarah Slipper (female), Serge Bennathan (male), and Bryan Arias (male).
- Živilė Baikštytė for Lithuanian National Ballet – Program: In the Beginning There Was Nothing
- December 1, 2023 – December 3, 2023: the Lithuanian National Ballet will present In the Beginning There Was Nothing, a program featuring a world premiere work by Živilė Baikštytė (female).
- Carla Mann and Sarah Slipper for NW Dance Project – Program: New Stories-In Good Company
- December 8, 2023 – December 10, 2023: NW Dance Project will present New Stories-In Good Company, a program featuring new works by Sarah Slipper (female), Carla Mann (female), and works by company members.
- Marika Brussel for Sacramento Ballet – Program: Visions 2024
- March 22, 2024 – March 24, 2024: Sacramento Ballet will present Visions 2024, a program featuring a world premiere work by Marika Brusse (female), alongside works by Ihsan Rustem (male), and Ma Cong (male).
- Andrea Schermoly for Sacramento Ballet – Program: Innovations
- May 17, 2024 – May 19, 2025: Sacramento Ballet will present Innovations, a world premiere work by Andrea Schermoly (female), alongside a work by Val Caniparoli (male) and another piece, yet to be announced.
- Simone Orlando for Ballet Kelowna – Program: Turning Point
- February 16, 2024 – February 17, 2024: Ballet Kelowna will present Turning Point, a program featuring world premiere works by Simone Orlando (female), and Robert Stephen (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Cincinnati Ballet Announces New Second Company Director and Rehearsal Director
- On July 31, 2023: Cincinnati Ballet announced that Yoshihisa Ara (male), has been appointed Director of Cincinnati Ballet’s Second Company, CB2. Ara succeeds Suzette Webb (female) in this position. The company also announced that Ara will take on the role of Rehearsal Director.
- Tulsa Ballet Announces Transitions in Center for Dance Education Leadership
- On August 2, 2023: Tulsa Ballet announced that the company’s Center for Dance Education Director, Arlene Minkhorst (female), will retire in October 2023. The company also announced that Lauren Richter (female) has been appointed as Principal of the Center for Dance Education effective August 12, 2023.
- Joffrey Academy of Dance Announces New Academy Director
- On August 1, 2023: Joffrey Academy of Dance announced that Suzanne Lopez (female), has been appointed as the new Abbott Academy Director of the Joffrey Academy of Dance. Lopez succeeds Raymond Rodriguez (male) in the role. This is a male-to-female transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
- Hot Springs National Park Announces 2023 Resident Artist
- On July 25, 2023: Choreographer Sofie van Doorn (female) was announced as the Hot Springs National Park 2023 artist-in-residence.
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.