Happening This Week
- Yanira Castro, Marina Fukushima, Audrey Johnson, and Marissa Brown for ODC Theater’s State of Play Festival
- August 3, 2023 – August 13, 2023: ODC Theater will present the State of Play Festival, which will feature new works by Yanira Castro (female), Ajani Brannum (they/them), and Marina Fukushima (female), Isak Immanuel (male) & Surjit Nongmeikapam (male) also featured will be a work-in-progress piece by Audrey Johnson (Female), and works by Baye & Asa, Marissa Brown (female), Bhumi B Patel (she/they), Kensaku Shinohara (male), gizeh muñiz vengel (she/they), Jerron Herman (male), and DANDY.
- Caili Quan, Adji Cissoko, and Melissa Toogood for Vail Dance Festival – Program: NOW: Premieres
- On August 7, 2023: Vail Dance Festival will present NOW: Premieres, a program Featuring new works by Caili Quan (female), Adji Cissoko (female), Melissa Toogood (female), Kyle Abraham (male), Matthew Neenan (male), Justin Peck (male), and Jamar Roberts (male).
- Gemma Bond for Ballet Nacional de Sodre – Program: Dos hemisferios
- July 27, 2023 – August 6, 2023: Ballet Nacional de Sodre will present Dos hemisferios, a double bill featuring world premiere works by Gemma Bond (female) and Iñaki Urlezaga (male).
- Natalie Weir for Queensland Ballet – Program: Bespoke
- July 27, 2023 – August 5, 2023: Queensland Ballet will present Bespoke, a triple bill featuring world premiere works by Natalie Weir (female), Paul Boyd (male), and Remi Wörtmeyer (male).
- Stephanie Lake for The Australian Ballet
- July 25, 2023 – August 19, 2023: The Australian Ballet is scheduled to present its 2023 tour. The tour features a new commission by Stephanie Lake (female) alongside works by Marius Petipa (male), and Lucas Jervies (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Rachel Arianne Ogle, Kimberley Parkin, Jasmin Sheppard for Sydney Dance Company – Program: INDance
- August 17, 2023 – August 26, 2023: Sydney Dance Company will present INDance, an “opportunity for the independent dance sector to have work presented by Sydney Dance Company.” The four independent contemporary dance choreographers chosen for the 2023 iteration of INDand are Rachel Arianne Ogle (female), Kimberley Parkin (female), Jasmin Sheppard (female), and Ryuichi Fujimura (male).
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
- Ephrat Asherie & Michelle Dorrance at the Fall for Dance Festival – Program: Program 4
- October 5, 2023 – October 6, 2023: The New York City Center’s Fall for Dance festival will present Program 4, which features a world premiere work by Ephrat Asherie (female) & Michelle Dorrance (female), alongside works by Juliano Nunes (male), and José Limón (male).
- Xenia Aidonopoulou and Jade Hackett for Dance Umbrella Festival
- October 6, 2023 – October 31, 2023: The UK’s Dance Umbrella Festival will present world premiere works by Xenia Aidonopoulou (female), and Jade Hackett (female), alongside works by Marco da Silva Ferreira (male), Amala Dianor (male), Sonya Lindfors (female), Ioanna Paraskevopoulou (female).
- Donna Marisa and Hannah Bontrager for Ballet Fantastique – Program: Nevermore
- October 19, 2023 – October 22, 2023: Ballet Fantastique will present Nevermore, a program featuring new choreography by Donna Marisa (female) & Hannah Bontrager (female).
- Aszure Barton for Ballet am Rhein – Program: I am a Problem
- November 4, 2023 – December 1, 2023: Ballet am Rhein will present I am a Problem, a double bill program featuring a new work by Aszure Barton (female) alongside a work by Roland Petit (male).
- Amy Hall Garner and Elizabeth Roxas-Dobrish for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater New York City Center Season
- November 29, 2023 – December 31, 2023; Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater will present their New York City Center season which features world premiere works by Amy Hall Garner (female), Elizabeth Roxas-Dobrish (female), and Robert Battle (male) alongside new company productions by Hans van Manen (male), Jamar Roberts (male), Ronald K. Brown (male), and Alonzo King (male). The season also features works by Alvin Ailey (male) & Mary Barnett (female), Paul Taylor (male), Kyle Abraham (male), and Twyla Tharp (female).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Smuin Contemporary Ballet Announces Artistic Director Transition
- On July 25, 2023: Smuin Contemporary Ballet announced that Amy Seiwert (female) will succeed Celia Fushille (female) as Artistic Director of the company, effective June 2024. This is a female-to-female transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.