Happening This Week
- Zoë Ashe-Browne and Kirsten Wicklund for Opera Ballet Vlaanderen – Program: Choreolab
- September 1, 2023 – September 9, 2023: Opera Ballet Vlaanderen will present Choreolab, a program featuring new works by dancers of Opera Ballet Vlaanderen, Zoë Ashe-Browne (female), Kirsten Wicklund (female) and Viktor Banka (male).
- Maxine Doyle for the Brisbane Festival – Program: Salamander
- September 1, 2023 – September 24, 2023: The Brisbane Festival will present Salamander, a world premiere featuring choreography by Maxine Doyle (female), sculptures and set design by Es Devlin (female), sound design by Rachael Dease (female).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Joëlle Le Boutillier and Yulia Makayeva for Ballet d’Jèrri – Program: Siez Sé
- September 14, 2023 – September 17, 2023: Ballet d’Jèrri will present Siez Sé, a program featuring new works by Joëlle Le Boutillier (female), Pedro Lozano Gomez (male), and a collaboration by choreographer Asier Edeso (male) and visual artist Yulia Makayeva (female).
- Rachel Van Buskirk & Darian Kane for Terminus Modern Ballet Theater – Program: Out of the Box
- September 23, 2023 – October 1, 2023: Terminus Modern Ballet will present Out of the Box, a program featuring world premiere works by Rachel Van Buskirk (female), and Darian Kane (female), alongside a work in progress by Shane Urton (male).
- Evelyn Hart for JV2
- September 28, 2023 – September 30, 2023: Jasmin Vardimon Company’s JV2 programme will present their 2023 performance featuring new works by Evelyn Hart (female) and Sean Moss (male), alongside a work by Jasmin Vardimon (female).
- Elizabeth Burke and Claudia Rahardjanoto for Dorrance Dance at 92NY Center for Culture & Arts
- September 28, 2023 – September 30, 2023: Dorrance Dance will perform at 92NY Center for Culture & Art, and present new works by Elizabeth Burke (female), Luke Hickey (male), and Claudia Rahardjanoto (female), followed by excerpts of SOUNDspace.
- Stephanie Martinez for American Repertory Ballet – Program: Elevate
- October 13, 2023 – October 18, 2023: American Repertory Ballet will present Elevate, a program featuring new works by Stephanie Martinez (female) and Meredith Rainey (male) with newly commissioned music by composer Miranda Scripp (female), alongside a work by Ethan Stiefel (male).
- Jawole Willa Jo Zollar for Houston Grand Opera
- October 20, 2023 – November 3, 2023: Houston Grand Opera will present the world premiere of Intelligence, an opera directed and choreographed by Urban Bush Women founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar (female).
- Nejla Yatkin for Dallas Black Dance Theater – Program: Director’s Choice
- November 10, 2023 – November 11, 2023: Dallas Black Dance Theater will present Director’s Choice, A program featuring world premiere works by Nejla Yatkin (female) and Norbert De La Cruz III (male) alongside a work by Francesca Harper (female).
- Hana Delong and Alysia Johnson for Dallas Black Dance Theater – Program: Cultural Awareness
- February 9, 2024 – February 10, 2024: Dallas Black Dance Theater will present Cultural Awareness, a program featuring world premiere works by Hana Delong (female) and Alysia Johnson (female) alongside works by Matthew Rushing (male) and Christopher L. Huggins (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Northern Ballet Academy Announces Departure of Academy Associate Director
- On August 10, 2023: Northern Ballet Academy announced that the academy Associate Director, Yoko Ichino (female) will be stepping down at the end of August 2023. No successor has been named as of the date of this post.
- The Washington Ballet Announces Acting Artistic Director
- The Washington Ballet announced that Effective August 17, 2023, Trinidad Vives (female) will begin her role as Acting Artistic Director for the company. Vives succeeds Julie Kent (female) in this position.
- Georgia Ballet Announces New Executive Director
- The Georgia Ballet announced that as of July 1, 2023, Alexa Destefano (female) has succeeded Joy Johnson (female) as executive director for the company. This is a female-to-female transition.
- Boston Ballet Announces New Executive Director
- On August 17, 2023: Boston Ballet announced that Ming Min Hui (female) has been appointed Executive Director of the company. Hui succeeds Meredith Hodges (female) in the role. This is a female-to-female transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
- Applications Open for Choreographers for SALT Link Audition Festival 2024
- SALT Contemporary Dance is looking for choreographers to participate in their LINK Audition Festival 2024. Applications are open until August 31, 2023. See application details at the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.