Happening This Week
- Sarah Slipper for NW Dance Project – Program: Sharing Stories
- October 6, 2023 – October 7, 2023: NW Dance Project will present Sharing Stories, a program featuring new works by Sarah Slipper (female), Serge Bennathan (male), and Bryan Arias (male).
- Yuka Oba-Muschiana for Grand Rapids Ballet – Program: Contemporary Visions
- October 6, 2023 – October 8, 2023: Grand Rapids Ballet will present Contemporary Visions, a program featuring new works by Yuka Oba-Muschiana (female), and Darrell Grand-Moultrie (male), alongside works by Penny Saunders (female), and Donald McKayle (male).
- Xenia Aidonopoulou and Jade Hackett for Dance Umbrella Festival
- October 6, 2023 – October 31, 2023: The UK’s Dance Umbrella Festival will present world premiere works by Xenia Aidonopoulou (female), and Jade Hackett (female), alongside works by Marco da Silva Ferreira (male), Amala Dianor (male), Sonya Lindfors (female), Ioanna Paraskevopoulou (female).
- Marion Motin and Xie Xin for Paris Opera Ballet – Program: Xie Xin / Marion Motin / Crystal Pite
- September 23, 2023 – October 12, 2023: Paris Opera Ballet will present Xie Xin / Marion Motin / Crystal Pite, a triple bill featuring works by three female choreographers, including two world premiere works by Marion Motin (female)and Xie Xin (female) alongside a work by Crystal Pite (female).
- Imre van Opstal for Nederlands Dans Theater
- September 21, 2023 – November 10, 2023: Nederlands Dans Theater will present In/with/in, a program featuring world premiere works by choreographic duo Imre van Opstal (female) & Marne van Opstal (male), and Tao Ye (male), alongside a work by Marco Goecke (male).
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Claire Mazza for East Coast Contemporary Ballet – Program: Strings and Asymmetry
- October 14, 2023 – October 20, 2023: East Coast Contemporary Ballet will present Strings and Asymmetry, a program featuring new works by Claire Mazza (female) and Alejandro Ulloa (male).
- Melissa Barak for Los Angeles Ballet – Program: Next Steps
- March 22, 2024 – March 24, 2024: Los Angeles Ballet will present Next Steps, a program featuring a world premiere work by Melissa Barak (female) alongside works by Justin Peck (male) and Hans van Manen (male).
- Janice Rosario for Dance Kaleidoscope – Program: New Voices
- March 21, 2024 – March 24, 2024: Dance Kaleidoscope will present New Voices, A program featuring new works by Janice Rosario (female), and Manuel Valdes (male) alongside a work by Mariel Greenlee-Lungu (female).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Cincinnati Ballet Announces Departure of Artistic Director
- September 22, 2023: Cincinnati Ballet announced that Jodie Gate (female) has stepped down from her position as the company’s artistic director. The company also announced Cervilio Miguel Amador (male)as Interim Artistic Director.
- Ballet Hartford Announces New Resident Choreographer
- On September 25, 2023: Ballet Hartford announced the arrival of Claire Kretzschmar (female) as Resident Choreographer for the company.
- Cincinnati Ballet Announces Transition of the Company President & CEO
- On September 28, 2023: the Cincinnati Ballet President & CEO, Scott Altman (male), announced his departure from the company effective December 31, 2023. It was also announced that Deborah S. Brant (female) will fill the role of Interim President & CEO of the company.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.