Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Vivian Assal Doohnavard for Staatsballett Berlin – Program: Lab_Works 2022
- June 9, 2022 – June 22, 2022: Staatsballett Berlin is currently presenting Lab_Works 2022, a program featuring new works from four Staatsballett Berlin company members including Vivian Assal Doohnavard (female), Alexander Abdukarimov (male), Johnny McMillan (male) and Arshak Ghalumyan (male)
- Jessica Lang and Brett Ishida for The Washington Ballet – Program: NEXTsteps
- June 22, 2022 – June 26 2022: The Washington Ballet will present NEXTsteps, a triple bill featuring new works from Jessica Lang (female), Brett Ishida (female), and Mthuthuzeli November (male).
- Milena Sidorova for Dutch National Ballet – Program: Shadows
- September 13, 2022 – September 28, 2022: Dutch National Ballet will present Shadows, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Milena Sidorova (female), alongside works by Wayne McGregor (male) and Kurt Jooss (male).
- Gemma Bond for Sarasota Ballet – Program: Program 1
- October 21, 2022 – October 23, 2022: Sarasota Ballet will present Program 1, a triple bill featuring world premiere works by Gemma Bond (female), Ricardo Graziano (male), and Richard House (male). Bond’s new work will be presented in place of a previously announced world premiere work by Asia Bui. Bui’s work will no longer be included in this program.
- Cathy Marston, Alysa Pires, and Helen Picket featured in Away We Go presented by Alberta Ballet
- October 27, 2022 – November 5, 2022: Alberta Ballet will present Away We Go, a triple bill that features a “collection of works from three celebrated female choreographers.” This program will feature Moving, Still by Cathy Martson, Skyward by Alysa Pires, and Petal by Helen Pickett.
- Annabelle Lopez Ochoa for Hong Kong Ballet
- March 24, 2023 – March 26, 2023: Hong Kong Ballet will present MADEMOISELLE: the Life of Coco Chanel, an evening length work choreographed by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa. This work was originally scheduled for June 2022 but has been postponed due to complications with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Annabelle Lopez Ochoa for Alberta Ballet
- May 5, 2023 – May 13, 2023: Alberta Ballet will present the world premiere of Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Botero. Lopez Ochoa will be extending the original one-act ballet to an evening-length work.
- Katarzyna Kozielska for Tulsa Ballet – Program: Signature Series
- May 11, 2023 – May 14, 2023: Tulsa Ballet will present Signature Series, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Katarzyna Kozielska (female) alongside works by Alexander Ekman (male) and Jennifer Weber (female).
- Nanine Linning for Boston Ballet – Program: Our Journey
- April 6, 2023 – April 16, 2023: Boston Ballet will present Our Journey, a double bill program featuring a world premiere work by Nanine Linning (female), alongside a work by Justin Peck (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Mollie Sansone is Nashville Ballet’s First Female Resident Choreographer
- June 2022: Nashville Ballet announced their 2022/2023 season. Notably, among the announcements was the inclusion of Mollie Sansone’s name as Resident choreographer. Sansone (female) succeeds Christopher Stuart (male) as resident choreographer and makes history as the first female resident choreographer in the company’s history.
- Dr. Katheryn (Kati) Gigler named Acting Executive Director of Pittsburgh Ballet Theater
- Effective July 1, 2022: Dr. Katherine (Kati) Gigler (female) will succeed Harris Ferris (male) in the role of Executive Director of Pittsburgh Ballet Theater. Gigler will step in as Acting Executive Director while “PBT’s Executive Search Committee and Management Consultants for the Arts (MCA) continue to lead the search for PBT’s next executive director and artistic director, prioritizing the identification of the artistic director first” (see link above).
- Tim O’Keefe named Acting Artistic Director of Texas Ballet Theater
- Effective July 1, 2022: Tim O’Keefe (male) will succeed Ben Stevenson (male) in the role of Artistic Director of Texas Ballet Theater. O’Keefe will step in as Acting Artistic Director while the Board of Governors of TBT prepares to search for a permanent artistic director.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
- Shobana Jeyasingh for Dancing Times June 2022
- A renowned choreographer and artistic director of Shobana Jeyasingh Dance Company, Shobana Jeyasingh wrote a Talking Point article (p. 11) in the June 2022 edition of the UK dance publication Dancing Times. In her article Jeyasingh describes her experience of creating new work through a pandemic.
- For more information about Jeyasingh see the link here
- Alicia Graf Mack for Vanity Fair
- May 23, 2022: Vanity Fair released an article on Alicia Graf Mack, Director of the Juilliard School Dance Division, and her work to help “(lead) Juilliard’s Dancers Into a New Era.”
- To read the article reference the link above.
- For more information about Graf Mack see the link here.
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.