Articles and Papers (U.S.-Based)
- Stop the Silence: It’s Time to Confront Sexual Misconduct in Dance Education | By Chanel DeSilva for Dance Magazine | 27 January 2021
- What Will It Take to End Sexual Abuse in Dance Education? | By Garnet Henderson for Dance Magazine | 27 January 2021
- How 19th Century Ballerinas Were Sexually Abused | By Alexander Yung for History of Yesterday | 23 July 2020
- Alvin Ailey dance theater official fired after sexual misconduct allegations | By Ashley Fantz, Casey Tolan and Alessandra Freitas for CNN Investigates | 20 July 2020
- Minnesota’s dance community needs to confront sexual consent, say former TU Dance dancers | By Kelly Smith for Star Tribune | 25 April 2020
- Dance in the Era of #MeToo | By Kiara Justine Kinghorn for Master of Fine Arts in Dance Thesis for University of California, Irvine | 2020
- #DancersToo: Is The Dance World Ready To Address Sexual Harassment? | By Lauren Wingenroth for Dance Magazine | 21 May 2018
- Responding to Sexual Harassment in the Dance World | Just for Kix Dance Talk Blog | 16 May 2018
- Sexual Violence Against Children in Sports and Exercise: A Systematic Literature Review | By Ingunn Bjørnsetha and Attila Szabo for The Journal of Sexual Child Abuse | 16 April 2018
- The Theater Has a Consent Problem | By Courtney Harge for The Clyde Fitch Report | 13 August 2016
- When Dancing Becomes Groping: Time To Clean Up The Dance Scene! | By Richie Kirwan for Go! Latin Dance
Articles and Papers (International)
- Paris Opera: a supervisor of the boarding school of the dance school indicted for touching minors | By Le Monde avec AFP for Le Monde 26 April 2021
- Ballet dancer used his fame to abuse students, London court told | By Lucy Campbell and Agency for The Guardian | 26 April 2021
- Argyll’s Ballet West dance school closes after sexual misconduct claims | BBC News | 24 August 2020
- Royal Ballet Suspends Choreographer Over Sexual Misconduct Claims | By Alex Marshall for The New York Times | 30 January 2020; Updated 4 February 2020
- Big Little Secrets: Part II | Jo-Anne La Flèche | The Dance Current | 21 December 2019
- Abuse at top Vienna ballet school: children hit, humiliated and told to smoke to stay slim, probe reveals | South China Morning Post / Agence France-Press | 18 December 2019
- Paris Opéra Ballet Sues One of Its Own Dancers | By Laura Capelle for Dance Magazine | 19 July 2018
- More Than Just Great Dancing!
MTJGD™ offers their licensed affiliated studios the advanced tools, resources, and coaching they need to achieve the highest standards in the industry. Beyond membership, they strive to be a positive influence on the greater dance industry by creating unique educational opportunities for all.
- Safer Dance
Created by like-minded academics and professionals in the dance school and safeguarding sectors, Safer Dance’s mission is to help protect children and vulnerable adults who attend dance teaching in out-of-school settings (“the sector”) in the UK by supporting and facilitating the implementation of high standards of safeguarding.
- Whistle While You Work
Whistle While You Work is a platform co-directed by Frances Chiaverini (dancer/choreographer) and Robyn Doty (writer/dramaturg) that promotes conversation around harassment, discrimination, and violence towards women and marginalized groups particularly while at work in the arts, especially in professional dance and performance.
- Youth Protection Advocates in Dance
YPAD believes that when you know better, you do better. As a result, YPAD courses are research based, educational courses with a trauma-informed approach for dance professionals and the dance industry as a whole. The mission of Youth Protection Advocates in Dance® is to provide dance professionals with the skills and resources to protect and develop healthy, happy dancers. Through the use of online courses, YPAD courses educate dance studios and communities worldwide on the core elements in constructing an environment focused on the well-being of kids and a sustainable, safe future for dance.
Allied Field Organizations
#NotInOurHouse is a Chicago-based organization formed to help address sexual harassment, discrimination, violence, intimidation, and bullying in the theatre community. In 2017, a group of representatives from Chicago theatre companies, artists, and administrators who volunteered their time, experience, and expertise over the course of two years, published the Chicago Theatre Standards, which outline simple and largely cost-free practices and tools to prevent and respond to everyday challenges in arts environments and focus on the core tenets of: communication, safety, respect, and accountability.
- U.S. Center for SafeSport
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is an independent 501c(3) non-profit organization focused on ending all forms of abuse in sport. They endeavor to make athlete well-being the centerpiece of the nation’s sports culture through abuse prevention, education, and accountability.
- Dance/NYC Sexual Harassment Resources
Dance/NYC has identified a list of sexual harassment resources in New York, which it continues to update, including:
- Dance/NYC’s statement on harassment (issued December 2017)
- A Gathering to Address Sexual Harassment in the NYC Dance Community hosted by Dance/NYC, Gibney, and The Actors Fund
- Hands on… Hands off
Rachel Rist and Jeanette Siddall consider teaching through touch for People Dancing
- Signs of an Emotionally Abusive Choreographer
Original: “Signs of an emotionally abusive husband” by N., Pam M.S., remixed by Whistle | 10 January 2016; 22 January 2020 (remix)
- Whistle While You Work Resources
- Whistle While You Work Zine
- WWYW on Sexism, Harassment, Feminism
- Consent Touch Worksheet for Dancers
- Messy Talk: a format developed by Whistle as we continually attempt to promote destigmatizing difficult conversations in dance, or more simply, to promote speaking (up) in dance students and professionals.
- Practical Tips for Talking to a Journalist
- RESOURCES – WWYW on Sexism, Harassment, Feminism
- BGCA Parent Safety Resources – Talking to Your Child About Sexual Abuse
- Youth Protection Advocates in Dance Sexual Abuse Awareness, Prevention & Response Course
Example Policies, Handbooks, and Guidelines
- USA Dance Policy on SafeSport and Harassment
- Dance ED Tip #102: Touch and Consent when Teaching Dance via Dance ED Tips
- “Things to Consider When Considering Touch” by Whistle While You Work
- Joffrey Las Vegas Summer 2020 Housing Manual | see p. 11 for “Bullying and Harassment” and “Sexual Conduct” policies
- A Dance Event Organiser’s Guide To Sexual Harassment And Assault By Tanya Haley
- #NotInOurHouse Chicago Theatre Standards
- Code of Conduct By The American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting
- Guidelines on Touch, Boundaries, and Consent via Utah Valley University Department of Theatrical Arts for Stage & Screen
- Protocols for Approaching Intimacy in Rehearsal and Performance via Columbia University School of the Arts
- Theatrical Intimacy and Instructional Touch Policy via UMBC Department of Theatre
- Safety Policies and Actions via Boys & Girls Clubs of America
NOTE: Dance/USA and NDEO are currently working on their own set of guidelines, which will be added to this document when available.