Happening This Week
- Micaela Taylor for NDT 2 – Program: Illuminate
- November 2, 2023 – December 21, 2023: NDT 2 will present Illuminate, a program featuring world premiere works by Micaela Taylor (female), and Jermaine Spivey (male), alongside a work by Nadav Zelner (male).
- Alia Kache, Charlotte Junge, Sarah Minton for Madison Ballet – Program: Innovation
- October 26, 2023 – November 5, 2023: Madison Ballet will present Innovation, a program featuring new works by Charlotte Junge (female), Sarah Minton (female), Alia Kache (female), Eric Stith (male) and Richard Walters (male). According to the website, “In this program, we uphold our commitment to commission works by female-identifying artists and artists of color.”
- Sabrina Sadowska for Theater Chemnitz Ballet – Program: Rhapsody in C
- October 28, 2023 – March 17, 2023: Theater Chemnitz Ballet will present Rhapsody in C, a program featuring a new evening-length work by company Ballet Director Sabrina Sadowska (female)
- Jawole Willa Jo Zollar for Houston Grand Opera
- October 20, 2023 – November 3, 2023: Houston Grand Opera will present the world premiere of Intelligence, an opera directed and choreographed by Urban Bush Women founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar (female).
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Nicole von Arx for NW Dance Project – Program: Secret Stories
- March 29, 2024 – March 30, 2024: NW Dance Project will present Secret Stories, a program featuring new works by Nicole von Arx (female), Joseph Hernandez (male), and Gustavo Ramírez Sansano (male).
- Katina Olsen and Milena Sidorova for Queensland Ballet – Program: Bespoke
- July 25, 2024 – August 3, 2024: Queensland Ballet will present Bespoke, a program featuring new works by Katina Olsen (female), Milena Sidorova (female), and Jack Lister (male).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- The Washington Ballet Announces New Artistic Director
- On October 24, 2023: The Washington Ballet Announced that Edwaard Liang (male) has been appointed as artistic director of the company. Liang succeeds Julie Kent (female) who departed the company in July 2023, and Trinidad Vives (female) who has been Acting Artistic Director since August 2023. This is a female-to-male transition.
- BalletMet Announced Departure of Artistic Director
- On October 24, 2023: BalletMet announced the departure of long-time Artistic Director, Edward Liang (male). The company press release states that Liang will finish out the 2023/2024 season with the company before transitioning to his new position as Artistic Director of The Washington Ballet. No successor has been announced as of the date of this post.
- Vienna State Ballet Announces New Director
- On October 24, 2023: the Vienna State Ballet announced that effective September 1, 2025, Alessandra Ferri (female) will take on the role of Director of the company. Ferri will succeed Martin Schläpfer (male). This is a male-to-female transition.
- The Australian Ballet Announces New Resident Choreographer
- On October 26, 2023: The Australian Ballet announced that Stephanie Lake (female) has been appointed as Resident Choreographer of the company effective January 2024. Lake succeeds Alice Topp (female) in this position. This is a female-to-female transition.
- Sadler’s Wells Announces New Co-CEO
- On October 26, 2023: Sadler’s Wells announced that Britannia Morton (female) has been appointed Co-CEO of the company, alongside CEO and Artistic Director Sir Alistair Spalding (male). Morton is the first female CEO for Sadler’s Wells since 1931.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
- Lucy Guerin Inc. Announced Resident Director Recipients
- Lucy Guerin Inc. has announced the recipients of its annual Resident Director position. The recipients are Alice Dixon (female), William McBride (male), and Caroline Meaden (female). This role allows recipients to “develop the skills required to become artistic directors.”
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.