Happening This Week
- Young Soon Hue for Richmond Ballet – Program: Studio One
- October 24, 2023 – October 29, 2023: Richmond Ballet will present Studio One, A program featuring a world premiere work by Young Soon Hue (female), alongside a work by Katarzyna Skarpetowska (female).
- Penny Saunders for Ballet Idaho – Program: The Gathering Dark
- October 26, 2023 – October 28, 2023: Ballet Idaho will present The Gathering Dark, a program featuring world premiere works by Penny Saunders (female) and Joseph Hernandez (male), alongside a work by Danielle Rowe (female).
- Alia Kache, Charlotte Junge, Sarah Minton for Madison Ballet – Program: Innovation
- October 26, 2023 – November 5, 2023: Madison Ballet will present Innovation, a program featuring new works by Charlotte Junge (female), Sarah Minton (female), Alia Kache (female), Eric Stith (male) and Richard Walters (male). According to the website, “In this program, we uphold our commitment to commission works by female-identifying artists and artists of color.”
- Jennifer Archibald for Pittsburgh Ballet Theater – Program: Light in the Dark
- October 27, 2023 – October 29, 2023: Pittsburgh Ballet Theater will present Light in the Dark, a triple bill featuring a world premiere by Jennifer Archibald (female) alongside works by Sasha Janes (male) and Annabelle Lopez Ochoa (female).
- Katie Puder for Avant Chamber Ballet – Program: Dracula
- October 27, 2023 – October 28, 2023: Avant Chamber Ballet will present Dracula, a program featuring world premiere choreography by Katie Puder (female).
- Emma Wittig and Brianna Moose for Ballet Chicago – Program: DanceVision: Creative Crossroads
- October 27, 2023 – October 28, 2023: Ballet Chicago will present DanceVision: Creative Crossroads, a program featuring new works by Emma Wittig (female), Brianna Moose (female), Montes Pirtle (male), and Ted Seymour (male)
- Sabrina Sadowska for Theater Chemnitz Ballet – Program: Rhapsody in C
- October 28, 2023 – March 17, 2023: Theater Chemnitz Ballet will present Rhapsody in C, a program featuring a new evening-length work by company Ballet Director Sabrina Sadowska (female)
- Kristen McNally for The Royal Ballet – Program: The Limit
- October 20, 2023 – October 28, 2023: The Royal Ballet will present The Limit, a dance theater work based on the award-winning play by Sam Steiner (male), with choreography by Kristen McNally (female), an original score by Isobel Waller-Bridge (female), and direction by Ed Madden (male).
- Jawole Willa Jo Zollar for Houston Grand Opera
- October 20, 2023 – November 3, 2023: Houston Grand Opera will present the world premiere of Intelligence, an opera directed and choreographed by Urban Bush Women founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar (female).
- Julia Eisen for Alabama Ballet – Program: At Home
- October 20, 2023 – October 29, 2023: Alabama Ballet will present At Home, a program featuring a new work by Julia Eisen (female), alongside works by Roger VanFleteren (male), and Christopher Stuart (male).
- Rima Pipoyan for Bern Ballet – Program: Anatomy of Emotion
- September 14, 2023 – January 6, 2024: Bern Ballet will present Anatomy of Emotion, a program featuring world premiere works by Rima Pipoyan (female), Etienne Béchard (male), and Mauro Astolfi (male).
Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Countess V. Winfrey for Mutual Dance Theater – Program: Up Close
- December 1, 2023 – December 9, 2023: Mutual Dance Theater will present Up Close, A program featuring world premiere works by Countess V. Winfrey (female) and Stevie Lamblin (gender expansive).
- Tra Mi Dinh and Eliza Cooper for Sydney Dance Company – Program: New Breed
- December 6, 2023 – December 16, 2023: Sydney Dance Company will present New Breed, a program featuring world premiere works by Tra Mi Dinh (female), Eliza Cooper (female), Beau Dean Riley Smith (male) and Riley Fitzgerald (male).
- Claire Kretzschmar for Ballet Hartford
- On December 9, 2023: Ballet Hartford will present A Ceremony of Carols, a new work by Claire Kretzschmar (female).
- Reka Gyulai for Pointeworks
- On June 20, 2024: Pointeworks will present their Inaugural performance described as a “female-led program celebrating innovative women across creative fields including choreography, music, design, and visual art” featuring a world premiere work by Reka Gyulai (female) alongside works by Heather Nichols (female) Melody Mennite (female), and Caili Quan (female).
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Royal Winnipeg Ballet Announces New Executive Director
- On October 19, 2023: Royal Winnipeg Ballet announced that Elena Tupyseva (female) has been appointed as Executive Director of the company effective November 6, 2023. Tupyseva succeeds André Lewis (male) who served as CEO and continues to serve as Artistic Director of the company. This is a male-to-female transition.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.