Female Choreography Commissions, World Premieres, and Programming
- Jessica Lang for Sarasota Ballet – Program: The Sarasota Ballet at the Joyce Theater
- August 16, 2022 – August 21, 2022: Sarasota Ballet will present a triple bill program at the Joyce Theater featuring a world premiere by Jessica Lang (female) alongside two repertory works by Sir Frederick Ashton (male).
- Heather Britt for Cincinnati Ballet – Program: The Caplan New Works Series
- September 8, 2022 – September 18, 2022: Cincinnati Ballet will present The Caplan New Works Series. The series features a world premiere work by Heather Britt (female) alongside Cincinnati premieres by Cathy Marston (female), Daniel Baldwin (male), Taylor Carrasco (male), and Melissa Gelfin De-Poli (female).
- Pam Tanowitz for Fall for Dance Festival
- September 21, 2022 – October 2, 2022: New York City Center will present its annual Fall for Dance Festival. Highlights of the festival include performances by the Kyiv City Ballet, the live premiere of Christopher Wheeldon’s (male) 2020 digital commission, and a world premiere work by Pam Tanowitz (female). This work was co-commissioned by Vail Dance Festival and Fall for Dance Festival.
- Chanel DaSilva for Joffrey Ballet – Program: Beyond Borders
- October 12, 2022 – October 23, 2022: Joffrey Ballet will present Beyond Borders, a triple bill program featuring a world premiere work by Chanel DeSilva (female) alongside works by Gerald Arpino (male) and Liam Scarlett (male).
- Kiara Flavin for Les Grands Ballets – Program: Carmen
- October 20, 2022 – October 23, 2022: Les Grands Ballets will present Carmen, a triple bill featuring a world premiere by Kiara Flavin (female) alongside two works by Étienne Béchard (male).
- Andrea Schermoly & Yusha-Marie Sorzano for Festival Ballet Providence – Program: Off The Wall
- October 21, 2022 – October 23, 2022: Festival Ballet Providence will present Off The Wall, a triple bill featuring world premiere works by Andrea Schermoly (female), Yusha-Marie Sorzano (female), and Yury Yanowsky (male).
- Eukene Sagues & Esther Lee Wilkinson for the Royal Danish Ballet – Program: Dance2Go
- October 23, 2022 – May 3, 2023: The Royal Danish Ballet will present Dance2Go, a quadruple bill featuring world premiere works by Eukene Sagues (female) & Esther Lee Wilkinson (female) alongside an excerpt of Swan Lake, and a work by Justin Peck (male).
- Sidra Bell for Nevada Ballet Theater – Program: Blue Until June
- February 18, 2023 – February 19, 2023: Nevada Ballet Theater will present Blue Until June, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Sidra Bell (female) alongside works by Trey McIntyre (male) and George Balanchine (male).
- Bridget Breiner & Neshama Nashman for Ballett Am Rhein – Program: Shortcuts
- March 24, 2023 – May 12, 2023: Ballett Am Rhein will present Shortcuts, a quadruple bill featuring world premiere works by Bridget Breiner (female)and Neshama Nashman (female) alongside works by Hans van Manen (male) and William Forsythe (male).
- Chanel DaSilva for Festival Ballet Providence – Program: Pure Dance
- April 2023: Festival Ballet Providence will present Pure Dance, a triple bill featuring a world premiere work by Chanel DaSilva (female) alongside works by George Balanchine (male) and Helen Pickett (female).
- Michelle Manzanalez for Ballet Hispánico at New York City Center
- June 1, 2023 – June 3, 2023: Ballet Hispánico will present a “mixed program” at New York City Center which features a world premiere work by Michelle Manzanalez (female) alongside works from the company repertoire.
For continual updates on leadership changes see Dance Data Project® – Artistic Director Transitions 2022 Spreadsheet
- Paris Opéra Ballet Artistic Director, Aurélie Dupont, announced resignation
- On June 16, 2022 Paris Opéra Ballet announced the resignation of Aurélie Dupont (female) as Artistic Director effective July 31, 2022. This resignation comes after a 6 year tenure as Artistic Director. The Paris Opéra Ballet also stated that there will be “a selection committee, chaired by Bernard Stirn, member of the Institute, Honorary President of the Board of Directors of the Paris National Opera, who will assist Alexander Neef, Director General of the Paris National Opera, in the choice of the future Director of Dance.”
- National Ballet of Canada Associate Artistic Director, Christopher Stowell, to leave his post
- On May 30, 2022 The National Ballet of Canada announced the departure of Christopher Stowell (male) as Associate Artistic Director. Stowell will finish his tenure effective June 30, 2022. As of the date of posting no new associate artistic director has been announced.
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Associate Artistic Director Jessica Tong has left her position
- On May 5, 2022 Jessica Tong announced her departure from her post as Associate Artistic Director of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago. On their social media the company stated “After almost 18 years at Hubbard Street Dance Chicago—from Hubbard Street 2, to the main company, to Rehearsal Director, to Associate Artistic Director—Jessica Tong is leaving Chicago for new adventures.” As of the date of posting no new associate artistic director has been announced.
- Kansas City Ballet Executive Director announced Retirement
- Effective June 2023, Kansas City Ballet Executive Director, Jeffrey Bentley, will retire after a 25 year tenure in the post. As of the date of posting there has been no successor announced.
This section focuses on new or upcoming deadlines for artist opportunities, in conjunction with our Fellowships, Competitions and Initiatives Guide. For a more comprehensive list of artist opportunities, please see the link above.
Outstanding Artists (lighting, music, tech, design, etc.)
- Anurima Banerji, Hope Boykin, Brooke Holmes and Kara Yoo Leaman have been announced as the 2022-2023 Fellows at NYU Center for Ballet and the Arts
*DDP utilizes multiple sources to inform Global Roundups. A comprehensive list of publications, subscriptions & sources can be found here.