By Lee Seymour
Nominations for the 65th Drama Desk Awards were announced today, recognizing theater at every level of New York’s industry, from downtown hideyholes to the glitz of Broadway.
Even with the season cut short by the coronavirus, there were still over 200 eligible productions vying for recognition. Over three dozen shows received nods, everything from epic two-part plays to intimate chamber musicals to children’s puppet theater. The winners will be announced online on May 31st. (Full list below).
Leading the pack with 11 nominations, including Outstanding Musical, was Soft Power, which premiered downtown and had been eyeing a Rialto transfer next year.
- Camille A. Brown, for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf
- Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, West Side Story
- Keone Madrid and Mari Madrid, Beyond Babel
- Kathleen Marshall, The Unsinkable Molly Brown
- Sonya Tayeh, Moulin Rouge!
- Travis Wall, The Wrong Man
The category of Outstanding Choreography includes 5 women – a first we’ve seen in award nominations that includes a majority of women choreographers.
Read the full article on Forbes.com.