Milwaukee Ballet is accepting entries for Genesis, the ninth installment of its biennial choreographic competition. The production will be presented for the first time in the new Baumgartner Center for Dance’s 200-seat black box performance studio, February 3-13, 2022.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2021
Notification: December 2021
THREE CHOREOGRAPHERS will be selected by Artistic Director Michael Pink to create a 20-minute work using eight Company dancers for a minimum of 75 hours of rehearsal time. Transportation to Milwaukee, hotel lodging, and daily per diem will be provided.
The winner will receive a cash prize of $5,000 plus a commission to create a new piece for Milwaukee Ballet at a mutually agreeable time. The other two finalists will receive $3000.
The winner of the Audience Choice Award will win an additional $500.
- Must have prior experience creating work for a professional dance company
- Must reside in the United States of America
- All competition works must be new creations
- Music must be pre-recorded and from the public domain or used with the composer’s permission without fees.
- Works can be augmented with simply constructed costumes from Milwaukee Ballet’s existing stock of contemporary and classical wardrobes.
- Works can be used by Milwaukee Ballet Company or the Milwaukee Ballet II Program for three years without royalty payments. The works will be restaged by Milwaukee Ballet’s artistic staff. The choreographer will be notified of such use.
HOW TO ENTER
- Choreographers must submit links to two excerpts of previous work no more than three years old and not to exceed 10 minutes. YouTube or Vimeo preferred.
- A written proposal and biography in English, and a headshot must accompany the entry
- Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.